North Atlantic Storm Verses PMDG 747

Members helping members with Flight Sim issues

Moderator: VATNZ Board Member

Brian Howard
VATSIM ID: 881095

North Atlantic Storm Verses PMDG 747

#1 Post by Brian Howard » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:54 pm

In the early hours of this morning I departed EGLL for CYVR in G-CIVP BAW 85 (PMDG 744)and I planned for a more higher latitude flight than the normal lower NAT tracks,all went well til around 64N30W at FL360 when all hell let loose, worst weather I have ever encounted on Active-Sky the old girl was being tossed around like I have never seen before....VNAV discounted and the speed was fluctuating between 230-280kts with the stall warning going off and was unable to maintain altitude in fact it was all down hill.....I tried every thing in the book and more!!!! even had help from a RW ex 747 FO,the biggest problem I could only get 96% N1,we thought we maybe in icing conditions,so turned on all the icing equipment, still going down....and with high ground on my track to cross Sondre Stromfjord I turned around headed for BIKF, Iam right amongst the weather now the uncontrolled decent continued til around 8000ft in rain & snow showers but I managed to stay around that height and managed to keep the speed around 270kts + or - 30kts, I dumped a load of Fuel while still over the sea.Setup for a ILS approach RWY 11 but was having trouble controlling the speed and had to keep the approach speed around 220kts,and when on the LOC and about to lockon to the ILS still in IMC for RWY 11 the old girl when into a stall and it was all over!!! went into the sea....I have flown this 747 many times and have encounted bad weather before, but not as bad.....so why it did and what it did today is beyond me.....Brian.

Steve Hall
VATNZ Training Staff Member
VATSIM ID: 0

Re: North Atlantic Storm Verses PMDG 747

#2 Post by Steve Hall » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:01 pm

Well that would ruin your day Brian. I suspect the US military had something to do with it or perhaps you where struck by the North Koreans long range missile test from Pongyang today. As you say tho quite odd.
Cheers
Steve

Brian Howard

#3 Post by Brian Howard » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:45 pm

Maybe Steve.....Should have gone for a lower NAT track....but what is annoying I was getting a good ground speed around 520kts on this track since leaving the UK.... which is rear heading west.... til it decided to fall out of the sky...may try again in a day or too..is there a site where I could download charts showing weather for a flight...I know flight crews get a weather chart showing the winds & cloud tops and any TS on route....maybe thats why there was no actual NAT track for that area this morning....they were much lower. The QOTS should have handled it better...had to have been a software problem.

Jeff Smith

#4 Post by Jeff Smith » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:56 am

Here ya go Brian:

Aviation Weather Center - Flight Folder

Have a good look at all the menu options, as it's not easy to understand at first glance.
Jeff Smith, VATOCE2
VATSIM OCEANIA
Deputy RD
Pacific Oceanic Partnership Admin

Brian Howard

#5 Post by Brian Howard » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:59 pm

Thanks Jeff.....very helpful,I found some other charts from Jeppensen and one chart was a Turbulence chart and the area I was flying in was hi-lighted in RED mod to serv....in furture for my across the pond flights I will check out these charts and plan to avoid any area in RED...Brian.

Steve Hall
VATNZ Training Staff Member

#6 Post by Steve Hall » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:25 pm

Yeah but even if it were a known area of turbulence it is not usual to have it from Cruise level down as far as approach commencement altitude. I am thinking that you had a serious software malfunction.
Cheers
Steve

Brian Howard

#7 Post by Brian Howard » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:33 pm

Yes Steve you could be correct....either MS, PMDG or Active Sky,I have encounted problems with the PMDG 744 with major wind shifts,but this was more than just a wind shift,this was a area of major TS activity with lightning and the tops way above my level.I should have checked my flight tracking programes to see if any RW aircraft were flying in that area around that time.