FMC decent profiles

Members helping members with Flight Sim issues

Moderator: VATNZ Board Member

Brian Howard
VATSIM ID: 881095

FMC decent profiles

#1 Post by Brian Howard » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:33 pm

Ever since I have had this laptop ( Vista) when I do a entered FMC STAR approach the profile is not correct its just not crossing the waypoints at the correct altitude,so I'am finding myself way too high,and its happening in all my aircraft,LD,PMDG & the Wilco ABs,so I have use the VS to reach the target height....then speed control comes into play...never had these problems with my old laptop using XP...very strange...Brian

Steve Hall
VATNZ Training Staff Member
VATSIM ID: 0

Re: FMC decent profiles

#2 Post by Steve Hall » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:45 pm

That is really odd Brian. Is it 32 bit Vista? Does the PFD annunciate VNAV PTH whilst on the descent or does it go to VNAV SPD? It seems odd that Vista is the issue. I have Vista on both my laptop (32 bit) and my PC (64 bit) with no problems at all. Have you tried to start FS9 with "run as administrator" (a right click option). Also make sure none of your Flight sim files have become read only files. I had that issue and it caused me grief but not related to yours. Just right click on the FS9 root folder and select properties then deselect the read only option. It will take a while to sort itself out after that as there are quite a few files to process.
Cheers
Steve

Brian Howard

#3 Post by Brian Howard » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:49 pm

Steve...32 bit,I de-selected the read only option....will try a flight tonight and make a few notes on what it did.....thanks for your help.

Steve Hall

#4 Post by Steve Hall » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:48 pm

I take it then Brian that the PFD annunciator was indicating VNAV PTH but not following it? We need to try and isolate the problem. Just really odd it happens on all three. As much as I hate to say it it might just be a flight sim install issue. :(
Cheers
Steve

Brian Howard

#5 Post by Brian Howard » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:48 pm

Steve....I did what you said about the read only.....and I did a flight last night into SYD on a BORRE 4 RWY34R in the PMDG and the profile was not too bad...about 1000ft low at BORRE but othe WP crossing heights were within a 100ft or so,I will do the same flight with the LD & Wilco A320 to see how they go...yes I guess some of my other problems (keyboard) may relate to the install...I will do a complete re-install when I get home as I left disc 4 in my other laptop......the keyboard thing is a pain.....try landing at NZNV with no reverse thrust in a 767 it can be done....min speed and right on the numbers,with max auto-brake, trying to a find a joystick assignment to work the reversers.

Steve Hall

#6 Post by Steve Hall » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:26 pm

The main thing to observe is the VNAV PTH annunciation on the PFD. If this is showing and you miss the waypoint altitude constraints by a fair bit (PMDG737 excepted which is hopeless) then there is some other issue that needs investigating. If the PFD annunciation is not showing VNAV PTH then it is not taking any notice of of the FMC computed path. It should not, however, descend thru a hard altitude constraint such as EMRAG 180/3000 or 180/3000A as long as the altitude is in large font. For example in the 747 if the a/c is descending below the path and is indicating VNAV SPD then when it reaches the next altitude constraint (even though it reaches there perhaps well before the waypoint that this constraint occurs at) the annunciation should change to VNAV ALT and the aircraft level out. When it reaches the constraint it should change back to VNAV PTH or remain in VNAV ALT until it regains the FMC computed VNAV path. It depends on how close in altitude the constraint is to the ideal 3 degree computed path as to what exactly will occur.
Cheers
Steve

Brian Howard

#7 Post by Brian Howard » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:29 pm

Thanks Steve....yes I have seen those changes in PFD annunciation panel in the past....will Fly the LevelD tonight and see what happens....I know the PMDG can get lost in VNAV....I have read the next version will be better in that department so we may be able to do better RNAV approaches.

Steve Hall

#8 Post by Steve Hall » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:17 pm

The VNAV is very good in the 747 (can fly RNAV approaches fine) but not so flash in the 737.
Cheers
Steve

Brian Howard

#9 Post by Brian Howard » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:45 am

Steve...I flew the same route in the LD76 last night and VNAV PTH was a lot better than the PMDG73 and the Font constraints were spot on....so I think de-selecting the readme has helped.....will try the Wilco A320 tonight....could be interesting how it performs...Brian

Steve Hall

#10 Post by Steve Hall » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:04 am

Yes it could be interesting. If it pitches up to 70 degrees and lets the speed drop back to 40 kts or so or it pushes over into high speed flight and breaks up at around 20,000ft then it is working fine.
No seriously it will be interesting. Do you have the PMDG 747? How does it perform in VNAV? What about the PMDG MD11 which I think you have.
it is important when testing VNAV that you reload the aircraft each time as it does not like a series of flights and the VNAV seems to need a reset. This is especially so with the 737. It does not even like a reposition with slew.
Cheers
Steve

Brian Howard

#11 Post by Brian Howard » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:08 pm

Steve...Yes I have the PMDG 747 and I should have the PMDG MD11 on disc by the time I get home.....I have it on my other laptop (well I did) but my OS was re-formatted so I may have lost it.....I did like flying the MD 11 but the 747 is very good...but I don't think I have done any RNAV approaches...anyway will let you know how the scare bus goes tonight.

Brian Howard

#12 Post by Brian Howard » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:56 am

The "Airbus"...well what can I say....I departed from YBCS and the SID RWY 15 SWIFT4 this requires a early left turn....well not this plane,slight left turn then climbed direct to SWIFT heading for the high terrain SE of the airport....bad start!!! The rest of the flight was ok til I started planning for the arrival in SYD....first thing no STARS (I did update cycle 0609) so from BOREE it was Pilot controlled heading & Decent path to intercept the LOC RWY 34R tuned the ILS Freq (manual) but nothing showed up,was able to do a visual approach...rating out of 10 ...ONE,so far the LD 767 is 10 out 10 the PMDG 737 maybe an 8.Tonight I will try the Wilco A330 to see if its any better than the A320,and the last test will be the "Queen of the sky" the PMDG 747.

Brian Howard

#13 Post by Brian Howard » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:21 am

I flew the A330-200 last night same route same weather.....and the SID off RWY 15 was better than the A320,and for the arrival into SYD the BOREE 4 showed up,but the decent profile was nothing like that displaying on the legs page so had do the decent in VS mode using that little red dot as the path indicator...but that worked ok as did the lateral navigation to intercept the LOC, the ILS was almost text book,tonight I will test the PMDG 747

Steve Hall

#14 Post by Steve Hall » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:57 am

AAhhh the piste de résistance...
Save the best for last.
Cheers
Steve

Brian Howard

#15 Post by Brian Howard » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:52 am

Last night I flew the PMDG 747.....the SID from RWY 15 very nice with that early left turn in a big heavy......no drama on the climb to FL360,for the decent into SYD no RNAV approaches came up on the FMC so selected the BOREE 4 for RWY 34L the VNAV decent was on path but some of the crossing altitudes the decent profile took us below what was showing,however the altitude constraints in bold fonts were within limits....the intercept to the LOC and ILS were perfect. So the score out of 10 for each type are:
PMDG 737 8
LD 767 10
A320 4
A330 7
PMDG 747 9.5
The performance of each Aircraft is how they performed on my laptop....so on other computers they may perform better,hopefully no worst