how to switch servers inflight?

Members helping members with Flight Sim issues

Moderator: VATNZ Board Member

Sean Malan
VATSIM ID: 1105916

how to switch servers inflight?

#1 Post by Sean Malan » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:22 am

i am doing around the world trip on VATSIM, i have one problem though, how do i switch servers while in flight without closing squawkbox?

p.s sorry if it is in the wrong forum i didnt know under what to put it

David Walsh
VATSIM ID: 811659

Re: how to switch servers inflight?

#2 Post by David Walsh » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:47 am

Simply disconnecting and reconnecting to a different server should do it.

Sean Malan

#3 Post by Sean Malan » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:06 pm

ok thanks

Wesley St George
VATSIM ID: 1039348

#4 Post by Wesley St George » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:00 pm

Just to make this clear, you don't need to switch servers if you're planning on flying in different countries. For example to see aircraft and controllers in US Airspace you don't need to log onto the USA Server. Same goes for any other part of VATSIM. But you will find (I assume you live in Australia or New Zealand) on servers other than your local one which is Oceania, that you can't hear controllers as well and they can't hear you that well either.
h3h3

Mark Helyar
VATSIM ID: 0

#5 Post by Mark Helyar » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:29 pm

In my experience on Vatsim over the years, I have found there to be no difficulty in communicating with any of the VATSIM ATC voice servers. The only issue i have found is that the Oceania one is less stable than that rest, for example more frequent disconnections on the Oceania server. But the stability on the others can vary on the time of day and amount of traffic using the particular server. Im sure though that pilots experience all sorts of differences in the servers at different times of day.
Mark Helyar CEO
HR Manager / Events Director
Virtual Air New Zealand
http://www.virtualairnz.com
FE-Instructor / NZ PPL
Founder - vANZ

Sean Malan

#6 Post by Sean Malan » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:28 pm

yeah on my flight today i noticed two disconnections for no reason

Nick Johnston
VATNZ Board Member
VATSIM ID: 0

#7 Post by Nick Johnston » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:36 pm

When everything is working correctly, the choice of which VATSIM server you connect to should have no effect on your ability to see other aircraft or controllers (or for them to see you). It will also have no effect on the quality of the voice comms as these use a different set of servers and the choice of voice server and room is determined by the controller rather than the individual pilots.

However, given that the servers are physically located throughout the planet and depend on the internet to talk to each other, there are times when individual servers will have issues. In particular you can get a situation called a 'server split' where one or more servers lose their ability to talk to the other servers. If you're connected to the effected server when that happens you will lose sight of pilots and controllers who are connected to the other servers. In that situation, you should switch to the nearest server that is unaffected. Generally you want to be connected to the working server that is closest to you, which when the Oceania server is down would be the servers in Asia and the USA.

As well as the latency issues (it takes longer for data to travel from here in NZ to a server in the US/Europe and back than it does to travel to the Oceania server in Melbourne), the other reason for not using the Northern Hemipshere servers all the time is that the network works best when the pilots and atc are spread out evenly across all of the servers. If too many clients connect to the one server, it can slow the server down which then has ripple effects across the whole network.

So unless there's something specifically going wrong at the time you're trying to use them, pilots and atc in NZ are best off connecting to the Oceania server, and controllers should use the rw1.vatpac.org voice server.
Nick Johnston
IT Director