How do you work an FMC?!?!??

Members helping members with Flight Sim issues

Moderator: VATNZ Board Member

Caleb Day
VATSIM ID: 1287750

How do you work an FMC?!?!??

#1 Post by Caleb Day » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:52 pm

Hi, I am not new to FSX, General Aviation on FSX, BUT I am new to Vatsim, Vatnz, And some commercial aircraft. I have logged at LEAST 3000 FSX hours on a mix of GA, Commercial, Warbirds, and other fictional add-on aircraft I could find for FSX. (that was on my laptop, which has been destroyed) I have mastered most Jetliners and the equipment they run. ALL EQUIPMENT EXCEPT THE BLASTED FMC!! I have been trying to find out how to use the thing for weeks now, but nothing I could find works! If someone could help, I would be very grateful!

Andrew Moseley
VATNZ Board Member
VATSIM ID: 810088

Re: How do you work an FMC?!?!??

#2 Post by Andrew Moseley » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:13 pm

Which FMC are you wanting to learn?
Andrew Moseley
VATNZ - Division Director
VATNZ Founder

Caleb Day

#3 Post by Caleb Day » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:02 pm

Andrew Moseley wrote:Which FMC are you wanting to learn?
I have no idea,.................... this is the aircraft that has it though :http://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1 ... rs&x=0&y=0

Andrew Moseley
VATNZ Board Member
VATSIM ID: 810088

#4 Post by Andrew Moseley » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:16 pm

ah ok. I'm not familiar with the model but if they say it has a realistic FMC then hopefully it works something like the Boeing and that we can walk you through.
Andrew Moseley
VATNZ - Division Director
VATNZ Founder

Caleb Day

#5 Post by Caleb Day » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:27 pm

Andrew Moseley wrote:ah ok. I'm not familiar with the model but if they say it has a realistic FMC then hopefully it works something like the Boeing and that we can walk you through.
Ok, I think it is fully functioning. But if it is not (I am not entirely sure) do you have any suggestions for a freeware aircraft that you know has one?

Caleb Day

#6 Post by Caleb Day » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:53 pm

Andrew Moseley wrote:ah ok. I'm not familiar with the model but if they say it has a realistic FMC then hopefully it works something like the Boeing and that we can walk you through.
As I said, i am not sure about it being a fully-functioning FMC. Do you know of any freeware aircraft that have one?

Andrew Ogden
VATSIM ID: 1336925

#7 Post by Andrew Ogden » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:29 pm

Unfortunately not many freeware aircraft have super realistic FMC's, or their FMC's are entirely non-existant. If you have the money, then PMDG and Aerosoft are your go to places if you want aircraft with fully fuctioning FMC's, unfortunately the prices are rather steep. Well worth it if you can afford it. Otherwise, I guess you will have to keep looking, maybe you will find something! :D
------------------------------------
VATSIM Technology Team

Duncan White
VATSIM ID: 1267983

#8 Post by Duncan White » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:32 pm

For $60 US, you can join the dark side of the force.

X-Plane 11 comes with fully functional GPS & FMS by default.

http://www.x-plane.com/desktop/try-it/

http://www.x-plane.com/2016/11/x-plane- ... -aircraft/

Dick Tucker
VATSIM ID: 1296118

#9 Post by Dick Tucker » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:44 pm

Yup, and if you get tired of being late for the party or having to arrive really early so you can have fun programming the stock FMC's in Xplane you can use 'SimpleFMC', designed and built by our own Pikitanga.
SFMC.jpg
SFMC.jpg (28.59 KiB) Viewed 3855 times
The free add-ons in X-Plane, from aircraft to scenery to utilities, are fantastic. :D I'm still blown away by the enthusiasts who spend many hours building stuff and giving it to their fellow SimPilots/SimControllers! :D
SIM=X-Plane 11.50
Agusta-Bell AB412 Helicopter - ZKHRT
Boeing 737-800 ZIBO mod JEX564 - JANEX564
Pilatus PC24 - ZKVSA
TMA Controller (S3)

Eric Gillespie
VATSIM ID: 1355175

#10 Post by Eric Gillespie » Mon May 01, 2017 8:23 pm

Sorry that this took me a while to get to. I hope you're still following this thread.

The Alessandro Rojero FMC (the one your aircraft has) is very much simplified as it's based on a Honeywell FMC, but there is a document in your zip file that covers the basics. In addition, at least for that FMC, you need to load your flight plan in default FSX before some of the rest of the limited functionality is available.

I can also suggest a freeware FSX FMC called vasFMC. It's based on the Airbus A320 FMC, but can be made to behave a bit more like a Boeing FMC. It's also a far more complete FMC implementation. I can also recommend the Majestic Q400 and its Universal FMC. The plane's not free but well worth the price.

---

Most of the previous FSX-based suggestions work best with accurate and especially up-to-date navigation data from Navigraph or NavDataPro. Otherwise you have to put up with data that originates from 2006, or sign up to Simbrief which allows you access to data from March 2015.

This is a very rough summary of what you often need to put into a modern Boeing, Universal or Airbus FMC. Please ignore the obvious simplicity of the explanations. Given the amount of time you've been flying, you'll know most if not all of these points. Now, generally each of these are organised into pages in the common FMCs that I've had my hands on. These are the Boeing 757/767/777, Airbus A318/319/320/321, and the Universal FMC in the Bombardier Q400. Others may be similar. I can already tell you from personal experience that once you start using the more complete FMCs, you'll never look back. It's not quite day and night, but it rates pretty close.
  • Which place are you flying to, and what path will you follow to get there?
    • This means knowing the names (four-letter codes) for common airports. NZAA is Auckland, NZWN is Wellington, and NZCH is Christchurch. There are plenty of other airports in NZ that roughly follow this.
    • This means having the right departure and arrival runways, SID (departure from airport), waypoints (fixes on the way to destination), airways (flight lines between waypoints) and STAR (approach for destination airport).
    • This also means knowing what flight level you'll be using to get to your destination. For IFR flight plans, flying north in NZ, we use odd-based flight levels (31,000 , 23,000 etc etc). Flying south we use even-based flight levels (32,000 , 34,000 etc).
  • How much does your aircraft weigh? How much fuel do you have on board? How many people do you have, and how much does your cargo weigh?
    • This will affect what flaps you will use on departure and arrival
    • It'll also affect your takeoff speeds (V1/Vr/V2/Vfri/Vclmb) and landing speeds (Vref/Vapp), which also depends (partially) on your flaps setting.
This covers the highlights for common questions you'll be asked by the FMC. In my limited opinion, there aren't a lot of differences between FMCs at least to this level. The main differences between FMCs are in presentation of the information, not in the information required, which is usually the same between all three types of FMC.
If you need more help, let us know, I'm sure someone will be able to help. And don't worry, the Alessandro Rojero FMC isn't completely braindead, it's just considerably more limited.

(Post 14)