The Compass Challenge October

Restricted posting forums for VATNZ Virtual Airline Partners use only. Only approved members of Partner VAs may post messages in this forum.

Moderator: VATNZ Pilot Operations Director

Jackson Harding
VATSIM ID: 820457

The Compass Challenge October

#1 Post by Jackson Harding » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:55 am

Paro, Schmaro, as long as I don't hit that sodding great hill!

Our October Challenge sees us venture into the Himalaya and the mysterious Kingdom of Bhutan. Our destination this month is Paro (VQPR), the only airport in the Kingdom, nestled deep in a river valley. Just like Challenge Two at Innsbruck I hear you say. Well sort of. Except here the peaks push 5000m or more in altitude.

Wikipedia gives us a few interesting little facts, such as one claim that only eight pilots in the world are certified to land here.

Boeing carried out certification tests with the B737-700 in an attempt to sell the NG to the Bhutanese national airline Drukair. This makes for some interesting reading.

The only published approach is a VOR guided cloud break procedure. Once you are clear of cloud it's a visual approach and in day light only.

Scenery is at AVSIM, link to follow shortly.

The challenge is open to all, we invite you to share your efforts with the rest of the community via the Compass forums, you can fly it at any time of the month, and feel free to organise a group effort.

Can you join the 8?

Jackson
Vice President Regions
VATSIM Board of Governors

Jackson Harding

Re: The Compass Challenge October

#2 Post by Jackson Harding » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:19 am

Paro scenery at AVSIM. This includes the charts.

PMDG procedures from AVSIM

Jackson
Vice President Regions

Jackson Harding

Re: The Compass Challenge October

#3 Post by Jackson Harding » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:29 am

This one has already generated a lot of comment on the Compass forums. It is one of the hardest challenges we've had to date. It is as they say in the classics a ball tearer, combining a short runway with a steep approach and extremely high surrounding terrain.

Give it a bash, show us your efforts. If you don't want to join the Compass forums to do so you can always send them to me and I'll post them there and put a link to them here, your other option is to publish them in the place of your choice and send me the link.

Jackson
Vice President Regions