VATATIS is returning

General chat on ATC

Moderator: VATNZ Board Member

Alex Dent
VATSIM ID: 1340277

VATATIS is returning

#1 Post by Alex Dent » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:29 pm

Sooooo... I've been gone a while, stuff has happened in RL, stuff is still happening in RL, but I'm back now.

And with that, plus a recent promotion at work, I plan to bring back a VATNZ favorite, VATATIS!!

I've already talked to Oliver about it and done some quick tests and can confirm that VATATIS, in it's latest version from when I shut it down, works with the next text2speech ATIS with no changes requied.

For all the long time members I doubt I need to explain VATATIS but for all the new controllers, VATATIS is my attempt at producing a realistic ATIS for NZ, and eventually beyond.
It does things like
  • Proper Cloud, Vis and variable wind reporting
  • Runway surface condition
  • Proper station identification and correct [on first contact with] settings depending on online controllers
  • Wind in magnetic heading
  • 2000ft winds reporting
  • And more
It also used to include realistic voice files for NZ, but we don't need those anymore.

I've got a bit of work to do before I can re-launch the service, and it will be re-launching with the Patreon page for anyone who wants to help cover the costs, but it will be staying up this time unless my personal situation changes.
Things I've got to do include a re-build of the build and deploy system for the code, tweaks the make the voice ATIS better (I figured out how to make it pause, I think) and so on.
Ill keep updates flowing as much as I can.

I will be looking for some people to help test the system before re-launch so if you are interested, PM me on Discord.

Cheers
Alex
Alex Dent
Creator, Programmer and Designer, VATATIS
VATSIM C1 Controller
VATSIM P2 Pilot