Use of PDCs in VATNZ airspace, Possible?

General chat on ATC

Moderator: VATNZ Board Member

Zain Khan
VATSIM ID: 1345074

Use of PDCs in VATNZ airspace, Possible?

#1 Post by Zain Khan » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:22 pm

I know I'm bringing this on again, but with Cross the Ditch coming up and levels of air traffic building up over the course of time, is it ok if we as controllers are allowed to use PDCs when inside VATNZ airspace and are there any proposals whatsoever to allow the use of PDCs inside VATNZ airspace?

A PDC is where a clearance which appears like an ACARS message is sent, either via CPDLC or via vPilot's private message system, most likely to vPilot since not everyone uses CPDLC. As controllers basically, we use alias commands to automatically type up PDCs with only a little bit of hands on editing such as transitions and frequencies to contact. It is easier for pilots to understand since they do not have to read it back nor hear the controller say the clearance, and sometimes people can't hear the controller properly and find it hard to understand hence they ask the controller to repeat, which is a waste of time in a busy aerodrome.

Here are some PDC alias code I have made, 9 commands, tailor made for each scenario, whether normal, short route, oceanic transition or a domestic Standard Route Clearance that is stated in the AIP.

Code: Select all

.pdc1 ACARS MSG: PDC UPLINK $aircraft $type $dep $time | CLEARED TO $arr VIA FLIGHT PLAN ROUTE | $sid DEPARTURE $1, RWY $deprwy | SQUAWK $squawk | ACKNOWLEDGE PDC BY SETTING YOUR SQUAWK ON YOUR TRANSPONDER, CONTACT $2 FOR PUSHBACK.
.pdc2 ACARS MSG: PDC UPLINK $aircraft $type $dep $time | CLEARED TO $arr VIA FLIGHT PLAN ROUTE | $alt | $sid DEPARTURE $1, RWY $deprwy | SQUAWK $squawk | ACKNOWLEDGE PDC BY SETTING YOUR SQUAWK ON YOUR TRANSPONDER, CONTACT $2 FOR PUSHBACK.
.pdcshortroute ACARS MSG: PDC UPLINK $aircraft $type $dep $time | CLEARED TO $arr VIA $route | $alt | $sid DEPARTURE $1, RWY $deprwy | SQUAWK $squawk | ACKNOWLEDGE PDC BY SETTING YOUR SQUAWK ON YOUR TRANSPONDER, CONTACT $2 FOR PUSHBACK.
.pdcsrc1 ACARS MSG: PDC UPLINK $aircraft $type $dep $time | CLEARED $arr 1 | $alt | $sid DEPARTURE $1, RWY $deprwy | SQUAWK $squawk | ACKNOWLEDGE PDC BY SETTING YOUR SQUAWK ON YOUR TRANSPONDER, CONTACT $2 FOR PUSHBACK.
.pdcsrc2 ACARS MSG: PDC UPLINK $aircraft $type $dep $time | CLEARED $arr 2 | $alt | $sid DEPARTURE $1, RWY $deprwy | SQUAWK $squawk | ACKNOWLEDGE PDC BY SETTING YOUR SQUAWK ON YOUR TRANSPONDER, CONTACT $2 FOR PUSHBACK.
.pdcsrc3 ACARS MSG: PDC UPLINK $aircraft $type $dep $time | CLEARED $arr 3 | $alt | $sid DEPARTURE $1, RWY $deprwy | SQUAWK $squawk | ACKNOWLEDGE PDC BY SETTING YOUR SQUAWK ON YOUR TRANSPONDER, CONTACT $2 FOR PUSHBACK.
.pdcsrc4 ACARS MSG: PDC UPLINK $aircraft $type $dep $time | CLEARED $arr 4 | $alt | $sid DEPARTURE $1, RWY $deprwy | SQUAWK $squawk | ACKNOWLEDGE PDC BY SETTING YOUR SQUAWK ON YOUR TRANSPONDER, CONTACT $2 FOR PUSHBACK.
.pdcsrc5 ACARS MSG: PDC UPLINK $aircraft $type $dep $time | CLEARED $arr 5 | $alt | $sid DEPARTURE $1, RWY $deprwy | SQUAWK $squawk | ACKNOWLEDGE PDC BY SETTING YOUR SQUAWK ON YOUR TRANSPONDER, CONTACT $2 FOR PUSHBACK.
.pdcsrc6 ACARS MSG: PDC UPLINK $aircraft $type $dep $time | CLEARED $arr 6 | $alt | $sid DEPARTURE $1, RWY $deprwy | SQUAWK $squawk | ACKNOWLEDGE PDC BY SETTING YOUR SQUAWK ON YOUR TRANSPONDER, CONTACT $2 FOR PUSHBACK.
PDC 1 is the PDC used for aircraft leaving NZZC FIR on oceanic transition waypoints, PDC 2 is a normal PDC for any route whatsoever, PDC short route is for domestic aircraft flying short routes that are not standard routes, and finally PDC SRCs 1-6 are PDCs that are used on aircraft flying a Standard Route, as stated in Standard Route Clearances for the $dep aerodrome.

$aircraft, $type, $dep, $time, $arr, $alt, $sid, $deprunway, $squawk are all code that will automatically write up data from EuroScope, $aircraft being the callsign, $type being the aircraft type, $time the current UTC time, $dep being the departure airport, $arr being the arriving airport, $alt being the cleared altitude, $deprwy being the departure runway and $squawk being the assigned squawk code by the controller. $1 and $2 are manual fields which are to be filled by the controller. Once $1 is filled, press TAB to move to $2 to edit the $2, and $1 here is supposed to be the transition of the SID assigned via $sid, ONLY IF THE TRANSITION APPLIES TO THE SID. and $2 is the radio name and the frequency of the controller for the aircraft receiving the PDC to contact for pushback, or the PUSHBACK can be edited to ENGINE STARTUP for aircraft not requiring pushback from their stands.

All the controller has to do to initiate this is to type the commands .pdc1 or .pdc2 or .pdcshortroute or .pdcsrc# for # being in range 1-6 (Standard Route Clearance designation) then edit the $1 and $2 fields. Once done, they can send this to the pilot via .msg <callsign>

A number of divisions including VATPAC allow PDCs to be used inside their respective airspace limits.

Good ideas?
Zain Khan

VATNZ C1 (Enroute) Controller, Oceanic Endorsed (/O)
VATSIM P1 Pilot
Instagram: @zkaviator (http://www.instagram.com/zkaviator)
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/zkaviator

Andrew Moseley
VATNZ Board Member
VATSIM ID: 810088

Re: Use of PDCs in VATNZ airspace, Possible?

#2 Post by Andrew Moseley » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:38 am

Interesting, something to be looked at
Andrew Moseley
VATNZ - Division Director
VATNZ Founder

Fenton Loveday
VATSIM ID: 1348445

#3 Post by Fenton Loveday » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:15 pm

Hi there Zain,

I like the idea of having PDC available to controllers which in turn is a great hand up when controlling text pilots on the network. I would thank that working on PDCs as well as and ALIAS file for the NZZC operations is a good idea. If you are up to it, I am more than happy to work with you to achieve this. However, I would be more inclined to make the PDCs and ALIAS as simple as possible for the controllers. This would be to reduce the confusion thus making it easier on the controllers. Let me know if you want to work on this with me and we can get something together for the next AIRAC release which will be 1901.

Cheers
Fenton Loveday | Enroute Controller | ATC Training Mentor | Airspace/ Operations Director

Zain Khan

#4 Post by Zain Khan » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:19 pm

Andrew Moseley wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:38 am
Interesting, something to be looked at
Sweet, hopefully it comes through.

NOTE: PDC Alias code is now updated, to the following (v1.1):

.pdc ACARS MSG: PDC UPLINK $aircraft $type $dep $time | CLEARED TO $arr VIA FLIGHT PLAN ROUTE | $alt | $sid DEPARTURE $1, RWY $deprwy | SQUAWK $squawk | ACKNOWLEDGE PDC BY SETTING YOUR SQUAWK ON YOUR TRANSPONDER, CONTACT $2 FOR PUSHBACK/ENGINE STARTUP.
.pdcoceanic ACARS MSG: PDC UPLINK $aircraft $type $dep $time | CLEARED TO $arr VIA FLIGHT PLAN ROUTE | $sid DEPARTURE $1, RWY $deprwy | SQUAWK $squawk | ACKNOWLEDGE PDC BY SETTING YOUR SQUAWK ON YOUR TRANSPONDER, CONTACT $2 FOR PUSHBACK/ENGINE STARTUP.
.pdcshortroute ACARS MSG: PDC UPLINK $aircraft $type $dep $time | CLEARED TO $arr VIA $route | $alt | $sid DEPARTURE $1, RWY $deprwy | SQUAWK $squawk | ACKNOWLEDGE PDC BY SETTING YOUR SQUAWK ON YOUR TRANSPONDER, CONTACT $2 FOR PUSHBACK/ENGINE STARTUP.
.pdcsrc1 ACARS MSG: PDC UPLINK $aircraft $type $dep $time | CLEARED $arr 1 | $alt | $sid DEPARTURE $1, RWY $deprwy | SQUAWK $squawk | ACKNOWLEDGE PDC BY SETTING YOUR SQUAWK ON YOUR TRANSPONDER, CONTACT $2 FOR PUSHBACK/ENGINE STARTUP.
.pdcsrc2 ACARS MSG: PDC UPLINK $aircraft $type $dep $time | CLEARED $arr 2 | $alt | $sid DEPARTURE $1, RWY $deprwy | SQUAWK $squawk | ACKNOWLEDGE PDC BY SETTING YOUR SQUAWK ON YOUR TRANSPONDER, CONTACT $2 FOR PUSHBACK/ENGINE STARTUP.
.pdcsrc3 ACARS MSG: PDC UPLINK $aircraft $type $dep $time | CLEARED $arr 3 | $alt | $sid DEPARTURE $1, RWY $deprwy | SQUAWK $squawk | ACKNOWLEDGE PDC BY SETTING YOUR SQUAWK ON YOUR TRANSPONDER, CONTACT $2 FOR PUSHBACK/ENGINE STARTUP.
.pdcsrc4 ACARS MSG: PDC UPLINK $aircraft $type $dep $time | CLEARED $arr 4 | $alt | $sid DEPARTURE $1, RWY $deprwy | SQUAWK $squawk | ACKNOWLEDGE PDC BY SETTING YOUR SQUAWK ON YOUR TRANSPONDER, CONTACT $2 FOR PUSHBACK/ENGINE STARTUP.
.pdcsrc5 ACARS MSG: PDC UPLINK $aircraft $type $dep $time | CLEARED $arr 5 | $alt | $sid DEPARTURE $1, RWY $deprwy | SQUAWK $squawk | ACKNOWLEDGE PDC BY SETTING YOUR SQUAWK ON YOUR TRANSPONDER, CONTACT $2 FOR PUSHBACK/ENGINE STARTUP.
.pdcsrc6 ACARS MSG: PDC UPLINK $aircraft $type $dep $time | CLEARED $arr 6 | $alt | $sid DEPARTURE $1, RWY $deprwy | SQUAWK $squawk | ACKNOWLEDGE PDC BY SETTING YOUR SQUAWK ON YOUR TRANSPONDER, CONTACT $2 FOR PUSHBACK/ENGINE STARTUP.
Changes:

* All PDC text amended at the end with Engine startup added after the pushback, to accommodate aircraft that do not require pushback.

* .pdc1 renamed to .pdcoceanic and .pdc2 renamed to .pdc since the new names make it easier for the controller to understand the command name and what to use to a certain aircraft.
Zain Khan

VATSIM P1 Pilot

Zain Khan

#5 Post by Zain Khan » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:21 pm

Fenton Loveday wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:15 pm
Hi there Zain,

I like the idea of having PDC available to controllers which in turn is a great hand up when controlling text pilots on the network. I would thank that working on PDCs as well as and ALIAS file for the NZZC operations is a good idea. If you are up to it, I am more than happy to work with you to achieve this. However, I would be more inclined to make the PDCs and ALIAS as simple as possible for the controllers. This would be to reduce the confusion thus making it easier on the controllers. Let me know if you want to work on this with me and we can get something together for the next AIRAC release which will be 1901.

Cheers
More than happy to work with you on it, let me know via email or via Discord if you want to raise any concerns with the code I have posted above.

Cheers.

EDIT: I will be also referring to VATPAC's PDC alias code they use to make any optimization changes if necessary.
Zain Khan

VATSIM P1 Pilot

Zain Khan

#6 Post by Zain Khan » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:49 pm

PDC code has been updated again, and I am happy with this new version of PDC code to be implemented into the official ALIAS file.

.pdc ACARS MSG: PDC UPLINK $aircraft $type $dep $time , CLEARED TO $arr VIA FLIGHT PLAN ROUTE , $alt , $sid DEPARTURE $1 , RWY $deprwy , SQUAWK $squawk , ACKNOWLEDGE PDC BY SETTING YOUR SQUAWK ON YOUR TRANSPONDER , CONTACT $2 FOR PUSHBACK/ENGINE STARTUP... PDC END
.pdcoceanic ACARS MSG: PDC UPLINK $aircraft $type $dep $time , CLEARED TO $arr VIA FLIGHT PLAN ROUTE , $sid DEPARTURE $1 , RWY $deprwy , SQUAWK $squawk , ACKNOWLEDGE PDC BY SETTING YOUR SQUAWK ON YOUR TRANSPONDER , CONTACT $2 FOR PUSHBACK/ENGINE STARTUP... PDC END
.pdcshortroute ACARS MSG: PDC UPLINK $aircraft $type $dep $time , CLEARED TO $arr VIA $route , $alt , $sid DEPARTURE $1 , RWY $deprwy , SQUAWK $squawk , ACKNOWLEDGE PDC BY SETTING YOUR SQUAWK ON YOUR TRANSPONDER , CONTACT $2 FOR PUSHBACK/ENGINE STARTUP... PDC END
.pdcsrc ACARS MSG: PDC UPLINK $aircraft $type $dep $time , CLEARED $arr $1 , $alt , $sid DEPARTURE $2 , RWY $deprwy , SQUAWK $squawk , ACKNOWLEDGE PDC BY SETTING YOUR SQUAWK ON YOUR TRANSPONDER , CONTACT $3 FOR PUSHBACK/ENGINE STARTUP... PDC END
CHANGES:

* Formatting has been changed slightly, replaced | with , to be more close in line with VATPAC's PDC format as it is issued to the pilots.

* Standard Route Clearance PDCs have been reduced from 6 commands to only ONE COMMAND! (.pdcsrc). Simply $1 now indicates the designation number of the Standard Route Clearance to be implemented into the PDC, in line with designations set out on the AIP. $2 indicates SID transition and $3 is the radioname and frequency of the controller to contact next for pushback/engine startup.

I have been running test runs of PDCs on some pilots on the actual network itself while proactively controlling and so far, great. Everyone seems to follow the instructions well and everyone understands the PDC well. No confusion caused.

Also for any IRL pilots out there, anyone know what carriers and what aircraft types in the real world are capable of receiving PDCs from the controllers?
Thanks.
Zain Khan

VATSIM P1 Pilot