Membership statistics

General Discussions

Moderator: VATNZ Board Member

Zain Khan
VATSIM ID: 1345074

Membership statistics

#1 Post by Zain Khan » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:04 pm

I have been a member of VATSIM and VATNZ since the ending days of 2015 and since then I have been noticing that the membership counts in VATNZ have remained between 470 and just below 500 members in total (both active and inactive members) and has been around these numbers for years. This makes us perhaps the smallest division on the VATSIM network by membership numbers since membership in many other divisions have greater numbers.

But one good trend I am noticing is that the number of active members is catching up to the number of inactive members. What I'm kind of worried about is the stagnant total membership count. It shows not a lot of growth for the division, and I think this may be due to a lack of attention for New Zealand in flightsim, when it comes to scenery and aircraft addons.

Just my 2 cents here on this, I feel some more things have to be done but some of this is outside our jurisdictions as a VATSIM division.
Zain Khan

VATNZ C1 (Enroute) Controller, Oceanic Endorsed (/O)
VATSIM P1 Pilot
Instagram: @zkaviator (http://www.instagram.com/zkaviator)
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/zkaviator

Andrew Moseley
VATNZ Board Member
VATSIM ID: 810088

Re: Membership statistics

#2 Post by Andrew Moseley » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:21 am

The membership numbers did get over 500 at one stage but yes they generally fluctuate between 450 and 500.

You can look at it in many ways. You can focus on the total number or is the active membership number more important? Many these days sign up but never connect to the network.
Given that our population base is the same as Sydney and aviation in NZ is tiny I think continued growth is unrealistic.

We have come a long way since the days when Mark Richards, Brett Collings, myself and a few others would be flying or controlling on SATCO most Sunday nights.
Andrew Moseley
VATNZ - Division Director
VATNZ Founder

Nick Johnston
VATNZ Board Member
VATSIM ID: 0

#3 Post by Nick Johnston » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:32 pm

Here's some context for you - these are the Membership stats for the year to date:

Screenshot_2019-07-05 Member Parser - Grafana.png
Screenshot_2019-07-05 Member Parser - Grafana.png (321.46 KiB) Viewed 256 times

As a percentage, VATNZ's 1.6% growth isn't too far below VATPAC's 2.3%. Given that the platform has been around for nearly two decades (longer if you include the SATCO days), that sort of growth is actually quite an achievement. I'd be surprised if there were many other gaming or entertainment platforms around from the nineties that can say as much!

What's really interesting is that the per-capita VATSIM membership rate for VATNZ and VATPAC is almost identical: 0.02% or 1 in every 5000 people.*

* Assuming all VATPAC members are Australian and all VATNZ members are Kiwis for simplicity's sake.
Nick Johnston
IT Director

Nick Johnston
VATNZ Board Member
VATSIM ID: 0

#4 Post by Nick Johnston » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:53 pm

A bit more context for those stats:

These are the numbers of members that are listed against each division in the VATSIM system. They include nearly two decades worth of suspended and deleted accounts, which are filtered out of the stats you can see on the Membership section of the website.

For those interested, the current number of non-rating-zero accounts for each division is 472 for VATNZ and 2312 for VATPAC.

Taking those rating-zero accounts out of the mix, the per-capita memberships are: 1 in 9,252 for VATNZ and 1 in 10,951 for VATPAC. So from that point of view, VATNZ is out-performing VATPAC!

I think the key point though is that this is a fairly niche hobby, and a mature platform, so double-digits percentage growth is not something we're likely to see anytime soon.
Nick Johnston
IT Director